Tuesday, April 22, 2008

What is in a NAME?

The name Melanie means BLACK.
The name Sarah means PRINCESS.
The name Kara means PURE.

The name Ethan means FIRM; STEADFAST.
The name Kyle means HANDSOME.
The name Timothy means TO HONOR GOD.
Kyle's original name was supposed to be Ethan. But, when he was born he didn't resemble and Ethan to me. Thank goodness I was able to think of a new name BEFORE I left the hospital. I love Kyle's name. He is handsome, and he does honor God!

Melanie on the other hand is not black. She is definitely white, and pure. I'm not too big on the "princess" idea for little girls. I believe that if you call them your "little princess" they will turn into a "royal" pain in the @$$! Melanie doesn't have any princess themed stuff, toys, blankets, etc. And we don't refer to her as our princess.

I had my tubes tied after she was born. She will be my last baby. My last off spring, my last child. My last. I want her to have the most perfect name, just like my son has.

I feel like this is so difficult. My husband hates the name Sarah. I hate the name Melanie. But, if I legally change her name to Kara-which is my first choice, I have to change everything in her life. And then remind everyone her "new" name over and over and over again for the next 6 months. What is a Mom to do?

I know I'm pathetic people. I know. Can you beleive I'm loosing sleep over this? PATHETIC!

2 comments:

NoJo said...

is calling a girl 'princess' any different than calling a boy 'handsome' ?

My youngest son is Kiel, the old Celtic origins spelling of Kyle. I never liked the name. I didn;t want to call my son handsome. but Brian loves the name Kyle. So I had to think..Handsome can also be used to describe generousity. "a handsome donation" and also can be used to to mean skill/ability.

Princess. we are daughters of the King- we are a princess. Which is why I love Sarah-Priincess for a girl. It is the name God Gave to Abraham's wife. It speaks of being a daughter of God to me. I think if you teach her that's what a princess is, you won't get a pain in gluteous 'princess'
. and it's her middle name. Do you call her by her middle name often? Whill she even know Sarah means princess when she is 2 and 4?

I can't help with the name Melanie. My husband liked Kelly for a girl, but it means Dark Warrior and there's no way I'd name my daughter Dark Warrior.

Yes, I debated over all of our kids' names...

Anonymous said...

I don't think it will take too much reminding others if you do change her name. Don't worry about all of us out here. It's about your family and your little girl that matters most! I do think it'd be nice for you and Duane if you both absolutely loved her name. I can't tell you which name I like more- Sarah, Kara, or Melanie, but I can tell you I think you and Duane should have a name for her that you both love- even if that means learning to love the name "Melanie," or changing it.
-Beka =)
PS: You're not pathetic at all =)