Thursday, October 9, 2014

OCTOBER Is Down Syndrome Awareness Month

I realize that October is home to several things to be "aware" of, but since Down syndrome is close to my heart and directly affects us, it's the one we're celebrating. I have recently looked up 3 different Down syndrome organizations for the 3 sets of grandparents that live out of town form us. I found one for East Texas, the Inland Empire, and Northern Nevada-Las Vegas area. I hope that you guys will take the time to visit their websites. They actually offer support and membership (free)to grandparents of Down syndrome children. You can learn a lot, make new friends and be a part of a really special secret club of awesome people! :-) The few events that we have gone to out here have had several grandparents there. It's amazing to see their involvement. I had a chance to speak with a grandma while at a brunch for Down syndrome families. She was there with her son, daughter in-law & granddaughter. She approached me with tears in her eyes stating this was her first event and she was just over whelmed. She had no idea something so special existed. She doted on Sean and talked about her grand daughter, age 3ish I think. I was over come with joy at her involvement and devotion. It was very neat to see. Don't worry grandparents, I KNOW all of you are very devoted to our family and each one of your grandchildren, Downs or not. But just in case you wanted to take it a step further, I found this info for you. :-)
East TX: http://www.etdsg.org/
Inland Empire: http://dsaie.org/
N. Nevada: http://www.dsosn.org/

Our BUDDY WALK is Saturday!  We are SUPER EXCITED!  We just picked-up our gear yesterday.  I. CAN. NOT. WAIT.  YAY!  Thanks for everyone's donations and supporting our baby Sean.  YOU GUYS ROCK...Rockin' that EXTRA Chromosome!  LOVE IT!

No comments: