Saturday, January 10, 2009

Harley Is Back!

After a very stressful day of wondering, worrying, crying, praying, & hoping, HARLEY has come home! She didn't really come willingly either. Let me tell you about this cat:most people that meet Harley automatically think she is retarded. She just looks that way. And that seems to be the kind of cats I come across too-all my animals have a story. But Harley is NOT retarded. She is quite a sweet little cat-most female cats are not, she enjoys being loved on, she purrs like you wouldn't believe-hence the name Harley. She is an extraordinary hunter. She hunts for pleasure, to eat, or to bring us gifts. When we lived in California she would catch gofers almost daily, which made Duane very happy. She has an endless amount of patience. I have only seen 1 other cat have as much patience as Harley when interacting with children. If there is a big group of children playing outside Harley wants to play too-well she just wants their attention! I found Harley when i was 19 years old at my apartment complex. I was on my way to the pool when I spotted this teeny, tiny black ball curled up on bottom step of stairs. I said "Kitty, kitty." I wasn't quite sure what it was. She lifted up her head, her eyes barley opening, ears all tweaked. When I came closer I could see her fur was greasy, she was so tiny and she was just a baby. Of course I had to rescue her! It was the dead of summer outside, she was so small she probably would have died from dehydration. There were 4 apartments to knock on, I went to all of them. Only 1 was home-and did not claim her. So I did. I took her straight up to my apartment, gave her a quick bath, some wet cat food, water and the best home a cat could possibly have. She moved back home with me and became a sister to Kyle when he was born. Now she's all grown up and a playmate for Melanie. I love this cat, I was heartbroken yesterday. When we saw her poke her head up from the sewer-ugh, it was a MIRACLE! I asked my neighbor to watch Melanie, told Kyle to grab Brownie, and I ran down the street to the sewer calling her name. Of course I scared the crap out of her, and she jumped back down! But I just kept calling her name, she meowed at me, I put my arm/hand down there to touch her, she rubbed up against my hand and I grabbed her by the back of the neck. I pulled her up and she was in my arms! I quickly took her into our house, examined her, loved her and she purred. She didn't leave all night last night. In fact she slept with us all nigh, which is something she doesn't normally do. She's a night cat. And now she's irritated because I'm on the computer telling her story instead of making her breakfast! Oh it's nice to have Harley home, I don't feel empty anymore!




2 comments:

Karen said...

I am so happy for you that Harley is home safe and sound. I too have lost a dear pet and its the worst feeling in the world. I pray that this will not happen again and that you have many more happy memories with her!

Anonymous said...

YEAHHHH! HAPPY TO HEAR EVERYONE IS BACK TOGETHER AGAIN!I KNOW HOW HAPPY YOU ALL MUST FEEL! GIVE HARLEY A HUG FOR ME AND AS ALWAYS,HUGS & KISSES FROM ME TO YOU,XOXOXOXO GRANDMA P.