Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Good News-Bad News

The good news is, I'm going back to work. I've been hired by Cook Children's Hospital to work at their Specialty Clinic in Denton. Some of you may know Cook Children's Hospital, some may not. I do. And WOW, do I feel a little proud to be working for such an awesome company, and an amazing research hospital. Go ahead and check it out to learn more about Cook's and the history behind it-you'll be amazed too. cookchildrens.org
More good news-I have narrowed my day care search to 3 prospects-all of which are minutes from where I'll be working, so I'll be spending my lunch hour with Melanie.
Good news on Kyle's end-he's quite happy to have me go back to work. I'll be off on the weekends which will able us to go out and do more things that we couldn't always afford to do without me working. Like going to the movies every time he wanted to, or grabbing a Sonic meal without planning for it, ordering pizza because I didn't feel like making dinner, and even driving our family car-without worrying about the gas that goes in it. Kyle says he likes having me home, however..."Mom, I'm learning to be responsible and I like having my own time. I'll be OK if you go back to work." How do you think that made me feel? At first I cried, then I felt PROUD.
More good news-instead of just making ends meet, and having a tight budget, we will have more flexibility with a SAVINGS! And we'll be able to pay off our debts quickly! Don't get me wrong...this past year we have done just fine on Duane's income, of course we sacrificed. However, we will still live well within our means, but enjoy a little more flexibility. Go Dave Ramsey Go!!!
Bad News-I'm going back to work. I won't be able to see Kyle off to school, or right when he gets home. I won't be able to walk anymore during the week-I vow to save it for the weekend. I won't be able to attend Kyles school activities unless I have approved vacation time. I won't be able to take Melanie to the park at the same time Kyle is having his lunch recess-so we get to see him and spend time with him. I won't be available to watch my niece Kate when Lori needs me to-which means I'll see less of my sister and her family. I'll miss that. Melanie going into day care-that's bad news. However Melanie seems to be quite an independent little girl, she might just enjoy and benifit from a day care setting. But, she's quite fond of nursing, so to not be able to have it whenever she wants may be difficult for her, and me. On the upside, I will be seeing her on my lunch hour so, if she wants it it will be there.
Well, on a positive note-I was able to stay home for over a year with my children and my husband. Who by the way is very supportive of me going back to work. We have discussed it several times throughout the year of the "what if." The timing is right, it's a great opportunity for my career as a nurse, and I need to jump in. I'm still going to be the best Mom and wife I can be. And we'll see what happens. So D-Day is December 1st. That week I will be training in Ft. Worth, Duane will take care of Kyle & Melanie. December 8th, I'll make my 40 minute commute to Denton and work 8-5 Monday-Friday.
Wish me luck...wish us luck!

No comments: