Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Melanie's Bad, Bad Night

My poor Melanie! Last night was the most awful night we have ever had-more awful than her first few nights at home when she was born. Melanie is dealing with a cold. She started showing symptoms of it the evening of her Yellow Jacket sting. She has a tight chest when she coughs, phlegmy cough, fever during the night, and a runny nose. She went to the Dr. on Monday so we could confirm it was a cold instead of a reaction to her sting. Thank goodness it's not related.
Anyway, since Sunday I have been giving her Tylenol for her fever. And she seemed to be doing OK. But, we ran out of the Tylenol, and since I prefer to use Motrin anyway-I bought some. At 6:50 PM last night I gave her the Motrin. At that time she was very tired. She fell asleep about 7:15, and at 7:45 she was back up. I tried laying down with her and nursing her-but she was AWAKE. About 8PM I just let her play. She was obviously very tired. She would lay herself on the ground, cry if she bumped herself, etc, etc. About 9 I tried again to lay down with her and nurse-she was up. Talking, kicking her legs, rolling around. 9:15 I laid her in her crib & let her cry for 15 minutes. Awake. Tried to nurse her again-AWAKE. To make a long story kind of short, I put Melanie in our Mei Tai carrier,walked around my block 5 times-she's talking, crying, pointing, waving, crying, crying, talking-AWAKE. I tried to nurse her again-she REFUSED. I put her in the car seat and drove to Wal-Mart and back-cried, cried, cried. When we got back I told Duane "I think she's having a reaction to the Motrin. She's hyper, and very awake." I tried to lay down with her again and nurse her-AWAKE-talking, crying, crying, rolling-AWAKE. I put her in her crib again-this time I let her cry for 30 minutes. I have NEVER let Melanie cry for more than 10minutes since she's been born. It breaks my heart to hear her cry, any baby cry like that. But, I did it. I thought that maybe she was overly tired and needed to let off some steam. Nope. It didn't work-AWAKE. I tried to console her because by now she's shaking and sobbing-she can't nurse, she doesn't want me to sing, she doesn't want anything. Nothing works. I try to nurse her-she can't she's all stuffed up. I took a warm shower with her and sing Old McDonald while swaying side to side and caressing her back. I'm not sure, but I think she fell asleep on my shoulder. We get out, I throw a towel around us and now I don't know what to do. She's not crying anymore-if I put her down to put a diaper on she'll wake up and cry, if I don't put a diaper on her she'll eventually pee and we'll have a mess to clean up in the middle of the night. I took a chance and didn't put a diaper on her. Instead I put another towel on our recliner and sit down with her to rock. Remember-I don't have clothes on either-just a towel is draped over us-but she's calm and (hopefully) asleep on my shoulder. After a few minutes her breathing changes-she's deep breathing-She's ASLEEP! I get up, and take her to our room-I'm afraid to let her go-I don't want her to cry anymore. We climb into bed and I attempt to relax sitting up with her on my shoulder. Well, that's really uncomfortable. I attempt to lay her down in the bed, so I could lay down-she stays asleep! Whoo hoo! I get out of bed, put some clothes on and climb back into bed. Shortly after I get comfortable she wakes again. I try to nurse her-she can't-still congested. I sit up and rock her and sing Old McDonald again and asked Duane to get me a diaper. She's crying again so nows a good time to put one on. So this is how the rest of the night went. Melanie finally went to sleep about 12. But, constantly throughout the night she woke up. That poor baby wanted to nurse so bad and be consoled but her stupid nose wouldn't let her! I think the next best thing was for us to be tummy to tummy, chest to chest, and she could hear my heart beat, while I rocked and sang Old McDonald. At about 6AM her nose was clear enough for her to nurse. Prior to 6AM, she didn't nurse or have anything since 9:15PM. That's a long time for her. At 6:45 I put her in her crib because I had to get up to help Kyle get ready for school. And if I left her in my bed, if she woke up, she would fall off the bed. So I braved her move. It's now 8:32 and she has been resting peacefully since. Let's hope and pray our day-HER DAY-is better.
By the way, I constantly sang Old McDonald because that song can go on forever with the different animals you choose to sing about. That was the only song I could think to sing-I was becoming delirious too. Also, I think I'm right about Melanie having a reaction to the Motrin. I looked it up online and confirmed it in my drug guide-there is a small, usually a rare chance-1 in 1,000 that INSOMNIA can occur with the administration of Ibuprofen. Who knew that my baby would be that 1?! I guess we'll stick with Tylenol.

4 comments:

Karen said...

I am so sorry poor little Melanie is sick. Each of my kids had a favorite song I sang to them while they were sick. I hope she gets to feeling better soon. I am praying for her.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the bad night, Michelle! I am glad Melanie is feeling better, and I hope you are able to sleep well tonight! Love, MOM

Ellen Enright said...

That is an incredible story!!! Poor Melanie and poor you. Melanie is one of a kind.
-Ellen

Anonymous said...

I READ YOUR BLOG AND FELT SO BAD FOR BOTH OF YOU. I HOPE YOU BOTH RESTED WHILE DUANE AND KYLE WERE GONE. I'M SURE YOU BOTH NEEDED IT. I PRAY YOU BOTH ARE FEELING BETTER,YOU WENT THROUGH ALMOST THE EXACT SAME THING WHEN DUANE AND LISA GOT SICK,AND YOUR RIGHT,I USED TYLENOL TOO,WHICH SEEMED TO HELP,ALONG WITH A LITTLE VICK'S VAPOR-RUB ON THE CHEST AND FEET WHEN IT GOT PHELMY AND CONGESTED IN THE THROAT.HOPE THIS HELPS,OR USE AS AN F.Y.I. IN THE FUTURE. TAKE CARE,LOVE YOU ALL, GRANDMA LINDA XOXOXOXO