Saturday, April 21, 2012

Simply THE BEST!

I can't help but say that THIS dog, our fatty-patty, fatness-katness, stinky-sweetness is
THE BEST DOG EVER.

Early yesterday morning Smokey & I walked into the kitchen & just before I turned on the pantry light something scurried across the living room floor & Smokey took off toward the book shelf in the living room.  He just stayed there, tail twitching.  Well, a possible mouse just hanging out in my living room doesn't sit well with me.  After all, I need to make Duane breakfast & I will want to sit & relax with a cup-o-coffee.  I can't do that if I know a mouse is there!  So I go and get THE HUNTER.  Brownie is passed out at the end of Kyle's bed.  Literally passed out-I have to wake her up.  I pick her up & tell her "Wanna get a mouse?"  "Getta mouse Brownie, getta mouse!"  Just the mention of the word "mouse"  her ears perk up & her tail just a wags.  She immediately squirms from my arms & puts her nose to the ground.  She runs to towards the living room & finds the scent of the mouse under & behind the bookshelf. 
The way Brownie catches rodents really impresses me.  She's totally unafraid and takes control.  Definitely a "go-getter."  I really wanted to catch the hunt on camera but it didn't work.  All you see is my tushie.  Sorry about that.  But you can definitely see & feel the intensity of the hunt.  Brownie's eagerness is awesome.  She definitely knows what her household duty is.  And they say that dogs are happiest when they know what their job is in their human pack.  Tell me this isn't the happiest dog you've ever seen?!  HA!
Anyway,  THE HUNT IS ON!  I start moving furniture and Brownie does the rest.  She chases the LARGE mouse from behind/under the bookshelf to up & behind the T.V., behind the dollhouse, across the dinning room floor towards the front door, behind the shoe bench, behind Duane's tennis shoes, back into the kitchen-where I have to move the fridge, back into the living room where the mouse is under the couch.  I pull the couch forward & lift up & just like that Brownie is on it & it's D.E.A.D.  I won't give you the gory details of their close encounter.  I will say though that I was right next to Brownie when she killed the mouse, heard everything and even saw it take it's last breath.  Talk about mixed feelings.  I think I started hyperventilating and tears just swam down my eyes.  I could hardly catch my breath to tell Brownie to STOP!, so Kyle had to tell her "OK brownie-ENOUGH! STOP!"
Brownie is usually really good about listening-when you tell her "ENOUGH  Brownie!, All finished!, or Drop it!" she usually listens.  Thank goodness she doesn't tear it to shreds.  WHEW!  But I think that since this particular chase had us all over the house, it was very intense and I was so close to the "scene" Brownie & I were both over come by instinct & emotion. 
She is a VERY good dog.  Simply the best.  It amazes me the difference in the way cats hunt versus dogs.  Cats are very patient and stalk their prey.  Dogs just "GO after it!"  In this particular case, I'm so thankful.
She was rewarded with a REAL roasted PIGS EAR from our local AG Store.  She loves those!

2 comments:

Mom said...

Well! Your morning was certainly much more exciting than mine was! Brownie is a good dog and a beautiful one too! Good girl, Brownie! The mouse was pretty yucky!

Lori said...

What a fun video. Love the victory music and Brownie's proud face.