Monday, July 30, 2012

Summer Reading

My friend and neighbor Rebekah suggested to me that we try to keep a reading log for our kids to help encourage them to continue learning to read. We set up a chart, similar to the Summer reading log for the library and after a week of reading books her kids Alex & Caden would come to our house for a prize and Melanie would go to her house for a prize. We're gonna do this for 3 weeks. This Friday we just had our first prize day. I didn't take picures of it because I was distracted & forgot but let me tell ya, it turned out GREAT!!! My friend had a REALLY AWESOME idea! It has really SUPER encouraged Melanie to want to read more! She already didn't mind reading a book or her flash cards, but now she's asking to read MORE than what we ask. It's so neat!! And she's READING! Teaching her phonics so she can sound out the words, sight words that are just repetative and me reading to her is just....SO COOL! It's such a neat feeling! Really, really NEAT. Great Job Melanie, Alex & Caden! Thanks Rebekah.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Excellent, Michelle! It is so exciting when the world of reading is opened up for a child! I hope Melanie develops a love of reading that will stay with her for her entire life.

Anonymous said...

It IS a ton of fun! Alex is reading SOOO much also! Can you believe your FOUR year old can read so well?!?! Great job Melanie!!